WOOCOMMERCE PRODUCT OPTIMISATION
This guide details our recommendations for enhanced optimisation of your WooCommerce products
WooCommerce Product SEO Guidelines
Firstly undertake keyword research to find all the popular search terms relating to this product and have a shortlist of no more than 10 in front of you with the most important at the top of the list. Use the one at the top of the list as your focus key phrase for SEO e.g. sports socks.
The rest can be used in text blocks and areas where you get a chance to be more descriptive.
Useful keyword research websites:
WOOCOMMERCE PRODUCT PAGE
Working downwards from the top of the product admin page:
Keep it short and to the point
Again, keep it as short as possible. If you leave it blank, it will be autogenerated from the product title which is ideal.
- Keep it concise – 300-400 words
- Use h2 headings, h3 subheadings, bullet points and paragraph text. (h1 is automatically created from the product title)
- Write for your human audience – not Google
- Avoid duplicate product descriptions
Use correct grammar, spelling and punctuation.
Enter a short focus key phrase specific to your product and taken from your keyword research.
This should be different to key phrases of other products
Check the preview for both mobile and desktop.
Is it what you want people to see in search results?
If you’ve set up the product title correctly,
you should get a green result using these variables.
Ignore problems relating to links.
Suggestions relating to product description headings and subheadings are worth acting on.
The important thing is that you get a green result.
Select as many as apply for that product
Set 3 or 4 for each product
Before creating new tags make sure you don’t have a similar one already. Using the same one will make it easier for customers to search using tags.
- Make sure it’s an easily recognisable image that instantly tells the visitor they’ve come to the right place.
- High quality is very important!
- The file size should be a minimum of 800px x 800px. We recommend aiming for 1000px x 1000px.
IMAGE OPTIMISATION GUIDELINES
Before you bring the image into WordPress.
Right click on the image file to bring up the properties box.
Change the image filename to a short name containing your top key phrase. Separate words with dashes e.g. mens-tennis-socks.jpg
Switch to the details tab and start filling in the information.
• Title – the same as the product title you will use in the product page
• Subject – A descriptive sentence taken from your product description
• Tags – comma separated and the same as you use on the product page (above)
• Comments – copy and paste your version of this text in:
SocksRUs Ltd, Any Building, Any Street, Anytown, SU16 7TH Phone: 01234 56789 https://www.socksrus.co.uk
In the WordPress Media Library
• Alt text -Same as filename (with or without dashes)
• Title description -Same as product page title. A little more keyword rich description is advisable but use the product page title as a minimum.
• Caption -Leave blank